Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Pretty in Pork

Costco has begun selling pretty little racks of pork, and my family is loving them. Last week, I roasted one according to Tyler Florence's recommendations, and it was delicious. This week, I freelanced a recipe with what was on hand. I chopped some rosemary and sage and made it into a loose paste with some olive oil. I massaged the herb/oil mixture all over the pork and seasoned it with salt and pepper. Then, I threw some sliced onions and garlic in a roasting pan and gently laid the pork on top of the sliced vegetables. Preheated the oven to 375 degrees and poured a generous glug of apple cider below the pork before throwing the whole mess into the heat. Roast for a hour and a half or so until the internal temperature of the roast is 150-155 degrees--this is key to getting a moist, flavorful roast. Remove from the oven and let rest for at least 15 minutes.

You can even make a quick gravy with the pan drippings and a little chicken stock and flour. Serve with mashed potatoes and braised cabbage and apples for a satisfying Sunday supper.

No comments: