Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Weeknight Fondue

I called my little hipster kids from work late this afternoon to ask them what they wanted for dinner, and the answer was "fondue." I deflect this most of the time, but, after yesterday's disaster at the polls, tonight felt like a night to do some ironic "celebration."


Fondue always makes me think of my favorite scene from Heidi, when her grandfather skewers a hunk of raclette cheese on a stick, toasts it in the fire like a marshmallow, and scrapes the melted cheese off of the hunk and onto a slice of fresh bread. Swiss comfort food. In lieu of a fireplace in the kitchen, this is my best, quick fondue, suitable for a weeknight dinner.

Weeknight "Celebration" Fondue

1 tablespoon olive oil
3 shallots, minced
1/2 bottle Goose Island India Pale Ale
8 ounces cream cheese
8 ounces Gruyere cheese
8 ounces raclette cheese
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce


Saute the shallots in the olive oil. Add the beer and bring to a simmer. Add the cheeses, one at a time, and melt. Add the Worcestershire sauce and taste for seasoning. Serve with cubed bread, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, and sliced sausage.

No comments: